Friday, July 18, 2014

Five on Friday

Thank goodness this week is over and I'll have my husband back tonight! Here are my five for the week:

One.
See above. Aaron comes back from Denver today. Hooray! Being a lawyer rarely takes him out of town on business, so I'm thankful I don't have to get used to trips like these. As most of you single mommas and mommas with husbands that go on out-of-town business trips know, taking care of a little one (not to mention multiple little ones) is NOT easy. Jack and I are both glad to have him back, although he'll be leaving again next week for an overnight trip to Pierre. I'm hoping that's the last trip he'll have to make for a while.

Two.
In the meantime, I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for things to do this weekend. There are a few things going on in the hills, including Spearfish's Festival in the Park. They'll have food and art vendors, children's activities, and live music. It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend, although Sunday is supposed to be H-O-T and humid at 96 degrees (yes, it gets that warm here in South Dakota), so if we go I think Saturday would be our best bet. Aaron and I have also been itching to go to Custer and try the burgers at Black Hills Burger and Bun. TripAdvisor recently awarded them as having the best burger in America. That's right, little old Custer, South Dakota is home to the best burger in America! Apparently, their Hot Granny is to die for, with jalapenos, cream cheese, and a sweet and spicy jalapeno sauce atop a beefy burger patty on a homemade bun. (I am in no way affiliated with Black Hills Burger and Bun and have not been compensated for an endorsement.) I am drooling as I type this and I'm anxious to give it a whirl. This is one of the reasons I love the hills; there are so many cool places and things to do that not only South Dakotans can appreciate, but visitors, as well. Do I enjoy being what I call "landlocked" (as in, 5 1/2 to 6 hours away from a major city)? No, but there so many things to see and do in the small towns around us, as well as in Rapid City, that it ALMOST makes up for it. Almost.

Three.
Next weekend my dad will be here with his wife. They have never been to the Black Hills before and have yet to meet Jack, so I'm anxious to show them around and spend some time relaxing and visiting with them.

Four.
Last night Jack and I hit up Summer Nights. I love that each and every Thursday we have a music festival downtown. When the weather is nice, a couple thousand people show up to meander around Main Street while listening to music, watching their kids play in bouncy castles, eating food truck delicacies, and sipping on an adult beverage or two. It's a nice way to get out of the house, meet up with friends, and enjoy the summer weather. Last night we met up with Amanda and Karissa, listened to an incredibly strange band, and grabbed ice cream from the sweet little ice cream place that just opened up. I chose Pistachio and was not disappointed...it was wonderful! I even shared a few bites with Jack, who (surprise!) loved it. I was okay with giving him a little taste, that is until we got home and he was still awake at 8 o'clock. That little stinker!





Five.
I suppose it's time I slowly begin to ease myself back into the professional world. I've had a pile of math and writing materials to read through that have been sitting on my nightstand all summer. I think it's about time to crack those babies open and start reading through them. I'm starting a little earlier than usual, but because I'll be teaching second grade next year instead of first, I have brand new standards and curriculum to learn. I'm still not ready to jump back into it, so I'll ease my way in, one toe at a time.



And there you have it, my Five for the week. I've been taking pictures of me and my cutie patootie and what we've been doing all week, so I'll be back tomorrow to share our week in pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is great. I love your blogs you have written so far, and yes Jack is very photogenic and cute.....

    ReplyDelete