Thursday, July 24, 2014

Five on Friday

This week I decided to do a little something different. Here's an "About Me" take on the usual Five on Friday.

One.
I'm originally from Michigan but moved to South Carolina in the first grade. I love, love, love the South. The history, the food, the warm winter weather. Buuuuut, I moved to the Midwest nine years ago and the Black Hills six years ago, and I am officially a fan. Never in a million years could I have imagined living in South Dakota, but here I am. People ask all the time how I ended up here, so here's the short version of that story: I met my hubs while we were working together in Columbia. About a year and a half later, he got accepted to the University of South Dakota School of Law and we decided to move. After graduation, he accepted a job in Rapid City and we moved here in 2008. So here we are, the three of us now, building our own lives in this still-somewhat-new city that we now call home. 

Two.
I am an avid reader and a book-buying addict. I have hundreds of books, many of which I haven't read yet. I have piles of books all over the house, all on a never-ending waiting list. One of my favorite books is To Kill a Mockingbird. The first book I read in its entirety in just one day was The Client; I stayed in bed all day on a Saturday when I was in middle school. I love the Harry Potter series so much and I try to read the series during my Christmas break every year. Harry Potter introduced me to the YA genre, which I love. I am a fan of Twilight (as horrible as the writing is), The Hunger Games, and the Divergent series. I am currently reading The Silkworm, by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling).

Three.
I love to cook and there are fewer things I find more relaxing. I cook almost every night and I'm usually doing so with a nice glass of red wine. I constantly scroll through Pinterest to find new recipes and am ecstatic when I try one and it actually turns out as good as the blog promises. I cook a mean filet mignon, I can bake some pretty amazing chocolate chip cookies, and I love to use my Crock Pot to make a really delicious pot roast. In my opinion, which may be different from the hubs', the best thing I cook is a panko-crusted parmesan chicken from Martha Stewart. I top it with a Dijon butter sauce and usually pair it with twice baked potatoes. Come to think of it, it's been a really long time since I've made that; I'll have to add it to the menu pretty soon.

Four.
I am a second grade teacher and I love my job. Absolutely love it. It's hard, the paychecks aren't big, and I invest a lot of my own time and money into it, but I can't see myself doing anything else ever. This will be my first year teaching second grade, as I've taught first grade for the last few years. I am starting at a new school this year, so add to that the new grade and the usual new school year jitters - I am nervous! I really like the people I've met at my new school, though, and I think it will be a good change. One perk I'll enjoy this year is that it's only a five minute drive from our house (10 minutes if I stop at Starbucks first).

Five.
Being a mother is my calling. It's all I've ever wanted to be and it's everything I expected it to be, and more. I always thought I wanted a little girl so I could buy the frilly dresses and the tutus and the hair bows. In fact, I actually cried when I found out we were NOT having a girl (talk about awkward...that doctor was really squirming). But, I love. Love. My son. I cannot imagine being a mother to any other child. I love his smiles, his laughter, his squeals of delight. I love his cries and his screams of frustration. I love that he loves to roughhouse (as much as you can roughhouse with a 9 month old, anyway). I love it all. Would I like a little girl one day? Maybe. But in all honesty, what would give me the most joy is to have two little boys playing together in the backyard, building forts, digging for worms, terrorizing each other (and their parents). Maybe one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment